1Ti 4:1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
1Ti 4:2 by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
1Ti 4:3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
[NASB: Bold emphasis mine. In verse 4:3 "men" and "and advocate" were added by the Translators.]
The question has been asked; "How can I tell if my Church or Minister is steering me wrong?" It is a valid question. And yes, there is an answer! The answer becomes quite helpful to you in understanding and interpreting biblical Scripture, as well.
For example, verse 4:3 has been used to argue that all foods can be eaten, "clean", or "unclean". I have even had people tell me that a prohibition on eating pork or shellfish is itself a "doctrine of demons". Mark 7:18 & 19 have been used in this way also (the verse that declares "all foods clean").
Right away I know this argument is itself a lie and bad doctrine. Why? Because Yehovah-Yeshua has already determined in Torah what clean and unclean foods are! The very definition of what is considered to be "food" is described in Torah. The word "food" is intended to be used when speaking of "eatable" kinds of food (that is; "clean foods"). In the case of Mark 7, verse 19 is one of those verses that linguists and manuscript scholars say has been altered by translators, and where manuscripts have been purposely falsified.
So, let's put together a set of indicators which can be used to determine what is a "deceitful spirit or doctrine of demons".
1. Yeshua came to save us from our sin. Sin is described as transgression of Torah (1 John 3:4). Saying that Torah has been "nailed to the Cross" makes Yeshua's loving sacrifice unneeded, a mistake! (because sin is defined as breaking Torah and if it has been done away with, then ...)
2. Deut. 13 says (basically) that if a dreamer comes along and advocates one to break Torah, that dreamer is to be killed! This requirement, that the Messiah must not break Torah, is probably the number one reason Jewish folk don't accept Yeshua, because the Church has historically presented a Torah-breaking antinomian Jesus. Nothing could be further from the truth. Jesus NEVER broke Torah! Instead, He broke the "traditions" of men. (the religious leader's Oral Law (Talmud))
Please note that all of Deut. 13 should be read and kept in context! No! I'm not advocating killing anyone!
3. The Bible, Old and New Testaments, warn us not to add to or take away from Scripture. See, Deut. 4, Deut. 12, Proverbs 30, and Rev. 22.
To construct a definition as to what a "deceitful spirit or doctrine of demons" is, it simply becomes a matter of stating that if the doctrine advocates sin, thereby making Yeshua's sacrifice vain, advocates the breaking of Torah (which is sin), or adds to and/or takes away from the Word - it is a bad doctrine! Here are some surprising examples of doctrines of demons:
- Sunday worship (you are breaking the Sabbath, Commandment 4 of the Big 10, number 1, as well).
- Not getting circumcised. No, the B'rit Hadashah does not say it's OK. You are breaking Torah (See my last blog entry). Please note, I'm not speaking of your Salvation here, I'm referring to afterwards!
- Eating Pork, Shellfish, Catfish, Snake, Shark, Shrimp, Lobster, etc. You are breaking Torah. (not to mention, you are diminishing the very creatures God put there to clean up the waters and lands!)
- Vegetarianism (as Church doctrine). Please look at 1 Timothy above. BTW, the SDA Church does not officially say one must be a vegetarian, but if you bring a meat dish to a covered-dish luncheon at an SDA Church, be prepared to take it back home with you.
- Celebrating Easter (several places in the Bible mention this; you're breaking the Big 10 again!).
- Celebrating Christmas (ditto).
- a Celibate Clergy (See Above). Is it no wonder the RCC has a huge problem with Pedophilia?
- Once Saved, Always Saved. Really! Have you asked King Saul, an Anointed One of God, and King Solomon? Have you never read the verse where it says, "better that you have had never known the Way of Righteousness"? (2 Peter 2)
- The Imminent, In the Next Moment, Return of Jesus. (See 1 Thess. 4 & 5, 2 Thess. 2, Matt. 24 - not to mention Prophecy in the Tanakh!)
Think about what most in the church are saying. Yehovah (daddy) screwed things up and got it wrong; including Torah, the Feast Days, and the 10 Commandments. All the Prophets had the wrong idea also. Therefore Jesus (sonny-boy) had to come down and fix everything by nailing Torah to the Cross, eliminating the Holy Days (and replacing them with Pagan Days), and by teaching us to ignore the first four Commandments! Do you see how ridiculous all this is? Yet, most in the Church teach exactly this!
Yehovah and Yeshua, in reality, are One, and they both teach the same things! All things that deny this come from fallen man! People who believe Yeshua is somehow different from Yehovah is worshipping "another Jesus". (2 Cor. 11)
Folks, we could go on and on! But, I think you have the idea. Always! Always please, continue to search for the truth, knowing and trusting God's Word, not man's! Question man's modern-day "Christian Talmud". It is my hope and prayer that these 3 simple rules will help you determine bad doctrine. And if bad doctrine exists and persists in your Church - RUN, GET OUT QUICKLY, for DEMONS are about!