Sunday, March 11, 2007

A True Life Story - 2 Visitations In As Many Days

Bloggers tend to report on the minutia of public news involving most everything; everything except their private personal lives. Here's an exception for you, and one that seems to relate to the "real world". I hope you enjoy it. It's true and perhaps funny!

Central Florida has wonderful weather, especially this time of the year. Temps are around 70-80 during the day, in the 50's at night, humidity is low, and there's always a cool breeze. Unless you're a stickler concerning your comfort, there's no reason to run the air conditioner. This means my windows are open during the day. It's handy, 'cause when people come knockin on the door, all I have to do is look out a kitchen window and say hi, extending out from the house as the kitchen does.

Two days ago, fairly early in the morning, clipboards at ready, a nice-looking young lady who appeared to be straight off the plane from New Delhi and a big snow-white young lad who was obviously Nordic rang the doorbell. So, I did my usual stroll through the house to the kitchen window and sat in a chair looking out. It was an awkward moment 'cause I had just lathered up my face with shaving cream. I'm sure I frightened them without intending to. "Sorry to bother you", the young lady said, "but we're conducting a survey"; "would anyone in your house be interested?" "Sure", I said; "go ahead - just ignore the shaving cream", with a silly grin on my face. "No", she said, "You have to be Filipino or Asian." "Do you have any Filipinos or Asians in the house?" "Well no", said I,” we just have Americans here." "We're not looking for Americans, we're looking for Filipinos and Asians", she repeated. "Can't they be Americans?” I retorted. “We’re only interested in how they’re being treated in this country, not if they’re American or not!” she said. I mused for a moment, thinking I would tell her about that nice Filipino lady down the street married to the retired Navy guy, but decided not to. She had been abused by our homeowners association months ago for extending her flower garden too close to the sidewalk, so the Tigress and I helped to get her elected to the board. Now she’s bringing some common sense back to the association. She is a proud American, by the way.

“No, sorry, nobody but Americans in this whole neighborhood!” smiling at the both of them. At that they walked solemnly away.

A day later, two fellows knocked on my door; a young intelligent looking white guy and a middle-aged, “been around the bend a bit too often, pot-belly”. “Do you have any Republicans here?” the younger asked. Remembering the day before, I just couldn’t resist! “No, we just have Americans here!” “Oh! A Democrat household?” he asked. “I didn’t say that.” I replied. “In fact, we’re all registered as no-party here.” (Florida has an “official” Independent Party; so to be truly independent one must register as “no-party”) “But our records show you and your family were recently Republican.” “We have a special election coming and it’s important that Republicans vote!” the youngster said. “Yes, I know about that but we can’t vote because we’re no-party; besides, the Republican Party is not conservative anymore!” I replied.
At this point what he said made the two days and the two disparate visits come together to form a basic principle, which neither group understood, “But if you re-register as a Republican it will be good for the Party!”

… “Young man” I replied, “We try to do what’s right for America, not the Party.”

At that they walked solemnly away.

7 comments:

Tiger said...

Lady Hawk, tell your friend not to despair. Some people still care about America and its unique "culture". The whole purpose of this blog is to remind people that we're in charge here, not the failed and bloated government. If we can convince others to demand more from their elected officials(more Freedom, not entitlements), we still have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I am a little slow but I too see that the party is no longer conservative.

Tiger said...

Whit, my friend, I do a lot of pissing and moaning about Republicans, Bush, and what I deem to be pseudo-conservatives; and very little p&m about Democrats and LIBERALS.

The reason is simple; I don't have any faith that Democrats can recover from their intense hatred of America and its value. I do believe, however, that the Republicans and the conservative movement can recover! That's why I'm hardest on them. With them, we actually have a chance to wake them up and do things right!

Harrison said...

Great anecdote there, tiger!

Yes, I too share your despair for the irrescuable Democrats. But all is not lost with the Republicans!

Deuce ☂ said...

Tiger that is one great post. It really showed us all a side of you that you never showed before, a side that is interesting, introspective and done so with humor. You need to do more of it. well done pal!

Tiger said...

Deuce, thank you, but by now I'm sure you realize my blogging activities have nothing to do with popularity or the sprinkling of sugar to help the medicine go down. It's all about a warning, a clarion, a blowing of the trumpet!

Deuce ☂ said...

A tiger or an NCO can't change his stripes.