Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Material Girl and Kabbala

Several years ago at a hotel in South Florida, a sign was posted outside a meeting room announcing someone talking about Kabbala. I was interested because there was a steady stream of mostly young and attractive people going into the meeting room. I assumed it was some form of multi-level marketing. I never found out what it was until recently when I read that Madonna is into Kabbala and had taken the Hebrew name Esther. So I'm thinking "now what?" You know if Madonna is into it, it's out there! Imagine my surprise this week when Drudge headlines a story that Madonna said "man is going to hell unless he turns away from the beast." She explained that the "beast is the material world." Somewhere along the way I had learned that Kabbala was a "Jewish off-shoot or cult." To learn more, I googled kabbala and I'm not going to regurge the information but here's a link http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08590a.htm.

My impression is that this is some old form of new age spiritualism or "false religion" which originated in the tenth century and is loosely based on the Torah. They seem to have some sort of Gnostic information. They have two main books: The Book of Creation is supposedly a monologue of the patriarch Abraham which "enumerates the thirty-two ways of wisdom by which God produced the universe, and who shows, by the analogy which is assumed to exist between the visible things and the letters which are the signs of thought, the manner in which all has emanated from God and is inferior to Him."

Their Bible is called the Zohar and teaches them how to communicate with invisible powers and exercise authority over demons, nature, diseases, etc.

I wonder if the Kabbala people have offered to relieve her of her material burdens.

Esther's "talking the talk" but will Madonna be able to "walk the walk?"

No comments: