Tuesday, October 11, 2005

UN...keeps hope alive

excerpted from the "Baghdad East Village Voice", a You Go Girl publication:

My name is Haseem Feminiem, I am seventeen and live in Baghdad. I fight a daily war against the imperialist American occupation. I, like my fellow Baghdaddios, don't like getting screwed by the Americans, but hey, they pay well and in US currency, yes, I am a male prostitute. As I was in deep slumber this past Saturday morning, I was awakened by the din of chatter and cheers outside my window, in streets usually filled with the doom and gloom expected of an occupied land and a suppressed people. I could not clearly hear what was going on until my head cleared from its stupor. The people were chanting...ElBaradei...ElBaradei...ElBaradei! The people were chanting the praises of a great man and a great organization, the UN. It reminded me, it reminded so many of us oppressed people, that there is hope, there will always be hope, as long as there is a UN. I do not know French, but I imagine that in the language of one of the great cultures of the world, ElBaradei must mean "a better day".
(editor's note - elbaradei in ancient Cyrillic roughly translates to "the bathroom")

No comments: